Restarting Last Year’s Tradition: “Ned’s Job Of the Week” – JOBS!! JOBS!! JOBS!!
I did this a few times last year, culling from Ned Lundquist’s “JOTW” or “Job of the Week.” Given that we are now in 2010 and hopefully in an economic recovery, let’s start the year off fresh with some hot-off-the-presses job openings.
I focus the openings mainly in the Washington, DC area, because that is where my Georgetown peeps are, many of whom have that lovely sheepskin in hand and have gotten zippy help from the university.
So here goes:
Ned Lundquist’s “Job of the Week” free e-mail networking newsletter and website for professional communicators has a cult following of more than 10,000 readers (the 5-digit milestone was reached October 6, 2006). The job leads are just one reason his faithful followers begin their Mondays (and sometimes Tuesdays through Fridays) with a cuppa and JOTW.
So here’s a few that I found that may be of interest to my peeps in the Washington, DC area — with a big thanks to Ned to keeping this up all those years:
- Manager of Web Communications, Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC
- Public Affairs Associate, Growth Energy, Washington DC
- Multimedia Associate, Growth Energy, Washington DC
- Director/Vice President-Digital Media, crisis communications and reputation management firms, Washington, DC (agency)
- Executive Director, ManTech International Corporation, Fairfax, VA
- Managing Director (Public Affairs), AD-1035-2c, Department of Congressional and Public Affairs (CPA), Millennium Challenge Corporation, Washington, DC
“Mark is Feeling Snarky” Job Opening of the Week
I have posted the entire opening below for “Manager, Corporate Communications-COM00006, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Franklin Lakes, NJ.” In its entirety. And I can tell you, that if you read the job description, replete with grammatical and punctuation errors as well as little ditties like “COVER LETTER” required, you’ll know how badly they need a proofreader too. And hell, if you are local, I’ll buy lunch for the reader who can find the most grammatical errors and bullshit bingo terms. Just put in the comments form below. And bring your calculator.
Manager, Corporate Communications-COM00006, Becton, Dickinson and
Company, Franklin Lakes, NJ
This position supports implementation of the strategic global Corporate Communications plan. It coordinates corporate and business messages to ensure consistency and alignment with global business objectives and corporate messaging. It also has responsibilities involving work on
change management/organizational and transactional communications, crisis communications and site/facility communications for BD locations
around the world. This position is a key overseer of quality of communications material globally, helping ensure consistency and conformity with corporate guidelines. Work with the Director, Corporate Communications and Manager, Internal Communications to support strategic global Corporate Communications plan deliverable. Serve as the primary liaison with the product Public Relations team to coordinate corporate and business messages to ensure consistency and alignment with global business objectives and corporate messaging. Assist with production ofthe Company’s Annual Report and Sustainability Report. Work with various locations and departments to create or edit internal news items for global intranet; uses content management tool to post news articles and updates to intranet. Serve as a copyeditor to ensure adherence to
corporate style and identity guidelines. for announcements, newsletters and other collateral originating from regional offices, Human Resources, Diversity/Inclusion, Social Investing, Marketing, etc. Enhance and maintain department’s infrastructure for both internal and external purposes such as responses to media inquiries, presentations, surveys, awards programs, etc.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Working on change management/organizational and transactional communications, crisis communications, and site/facility communicationsfor locations around the world.
- Working closely with senior management as well as departments including
- Investor Relations, Government Relations, Regulatory Affairs andFinance.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible communicationsexperience, including some time at a public company.
- Media relations experience, including pitching stories to national media outlets.
- Proven writing capabilities in a variety of formats, including executive speeches, press releases and other collateral materials, employee newsletters, organizational communications, video scripts and PowerPoint presentations.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communications skills, in addition to written skills
Advanced editing and proofreading skills, along with extraordinary attention to detail.
- Strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Experience working globally/cross-culturally.
- Bachelors Degree; Advanced Degree preferred.
- Communications experience in medical technology or healthcare.
- Familiarity with social media tools and fundamental graphic
RESUMES SUBMITTED WITHOUT “COVER LETTERS” WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Relocation Available No
My caveat – I know nothing about the jobs, the organizations, the salaries, etc., but encourage you to check them out. The job market is not dead, it’s just really tired.